2 T. olive oil
2 T. butter
1 medium onion diced
1 apple…peeled, cored, cubed
1 large butternut squash (2 lbs.) or two smaller ones
3 cups chicken stock
Pinch of cayenne (or more depending on your heat level)
Salt and pepper to taste
Finely grated ginger (optional, but it really is great!)
1 ½ c. sour cream
Splash of Madiera (optional)
1. Slice butternut squash in half. Add a bit of butter in cavity, cover lightly with foil and bake on a baking sheet. 350° 45 min. or until tender
2. Add oil to a heated large sauté pan
3. Blend in butter
4. Saute onion and apple til tender
5. Add squash in chunks. It should be very soft. If it’s started to carmelize, even better! *Here’s where you can add the ginger!
6. Add chicken stock & blend mixture with a hand blender till smooth, or cool slightly and use a counter top blender
7. blend in sour cream
8. Now you can add the splash of Madiera if you’re adding it!
9. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
Finally heat everything through before serving
For garnish, a dollop of sour cream with a small pinch of paprika is simple, plus some finely diced chives or parsley for colour if you like.
**Handy tip: Keep fresh whole ginger in the freezer…no need to peel it. It’s then ready to and easier to grate when needed!
Wine Pairing: Gewurztraminer, Viogner, even a fruity Pinot GrisShare